Referee Liaison Armband Program
Referee abuse and harassment by spectators and coaches is the main reason why referees, particularly those in their early teens, drop out of the development program resulting in severe shortages of officials at all levels. This unacceptable behaviour towards our youth must be addressed as a priority particularly if soccer is to have an adequate supply of referees.
All teams participating in Tri-County league must designate an individual at each game to act as a referee liaison. The referee liaison of each team shall be a person who is not a team official (coach or manager) and their main role will be to act as a deterrent to possible acts of misbehavior by spectators or team officials. The referee liaison will also be available to the referee should a request to do so be made or if a potential problem exists.
The name of the referee liaison MUST be marked in the area provided on the game sheet. The team has a 15 minute grace period in which to provide a liaison or they will default the game. Please ensure the name is marked on the game sheet.
- Please introduce yourself to the referee prior to the start of the game and tell them that you are here to help them if they require it. Please wear the identifying armband provided by your team. (This armband will be available from you team officials) Monitor the behaviour of your teams’ parents & spectators.
- Be visible at half time and full time by walking onto the field with your fellow liaison from the other team. Walk towards the referee and be ready to assist the referee if needed.
- Quickly diffuse potential problems before they arise by either being visible or calmly speaking with the individual(s) involved.
- Deal with, and act on, inappropriate comments, gestures and/or general unsporting behaviour directed at referees, players or any other individual by your teams’ spectators or coaches but please avoid getting into a confrontation.
- Submit a brief report in writing (via email) to the Discipline Chairman of any incident that you feel the district should be aware of involving inappropriate behaviour by ANY individual. Based on any official report, the Discipline Chairman will conduct an investigation into the incident and act accordingly. Refer all reports to: email@example.com